Tuesday, April 21, 2015

And on that night, a blog was born


Last summer, when I broke things off with my long-term, live-in boyfriend, I was assured it would be no time at all until I was swept off my feet again. I was assured that if I "put myself out there," I would be greeted with endless eligible bachelors. “Out there” I would find myself invited to dinners and movies and bowling and drinks and yacht parties. After a few weeks of moping and drinking white wine while crying over episodes of The X-Files, I dusted the Dorito from my fingers and took control of the wheel.


I started out the only way I knew how: OkCupid. I had decent luck with OkCupid before, I wasn’t mentally prepared for Tinder, and I had no intention on paying real money to lie about myself online. (Drinks: “Socially.”) OkCupid was the easy, comfortable, obvious choice.

A few months after I left my ex, my roommate and her LTR went their separate ways and she was ready to join me "out there" to meet someone new. In an ideal world, OkCupid would be a supplement to "out there", presuming "out there" is the real world. With that in mind, we mapped out bars where we estimated a high ratio of single dudes, picked out our damned cutest outfits, and ventured out on our first Friday night of mutual singledom. After a few minutes of being “out there” and scoping “out there” out, we were sorely disappointed.

Some preliminary searches of "cute boys in Chicago" and "OK Google: find cute boys near me" were inconclusive. Scouring Yelp reviews for the hot dude factor was a waste. After four bars, numerous complex Google searches, and a five-minute foray into Tinder,
“Where the cute boys at?” was said in exasperation. And with that utterance, the title of this blog was birthed. Right there on the floor of G-Man (where the cute boys were not that evening).

Keeping a weather eye for cuties

Welcome to Where the Cute Boys At, a collaborative effort to document the thrills and spills of Chicago’s casual dating scene. We’ll provide venue reviews, post-date analysis, general observations, and other rants and raves as we see fit. At WTCBA, we promise to withhold the identities of the cute boys and the not-so-cute boys we profile, to refrain from hateful speech, and to keep these posts PG-13 so that you can enjoy them with your mother. 

We hope you laugh. We hope you cry. We hope you find a cute boy.

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment